Hi Aljoscha,

Good point on the potential optimization in the source. One thing to
clarify, by "adding a minimumTimestamp()/maximumTimestamp() method pair to
the split interface", did you mean "split reader interface"? If so, what
should the readers do if they do not have such additional information? I am
wondering if it is possible to leave such optimization to the source
internal implementation.

@all
After reading all the feedback, Biao and I talked a little bit offline. We
would like to share some new thoughts with you and see what do you think.

When looking at the Source API, we were trying to answer two questions.
First of all, how would Flink use this API if someone else implemented it.
Secondly, how would the connector contributors implement the interface? How
difficult is the implementation.

KafkaConsumer is a typical example of a thread-less reader. The idea was to
allow different threading model on top of it. It could be a global single
thread handles record fetching and processing in an event loop pattern; it
could also be one dedicated fetcher thread for each consumer and a separate
thread pool for record processing. The API gives the freedom of picking up
threading model to the users. To answer the first question, I would love to
have such a source reader API so Flink can choose whatever threading model
it wants. However, implementing such an interface could be pretty
challenging and error prone.

On the other hand, having a source reader with a naive blocking socket is
probably simple enough in most cases (actually sometimes this might even be
the most efficient way). But it does not leave much option to Flink other
than creating one thread per reader.

Given the above thoughts, it might be reasonable to separate the
SplitReader API into two: SyncReader and AsyncReader. The sync reader just
has a simple blocking takeNext() API. And the AsyncReader just has a
pollNext(Callback) or Future<?> pollNext(). All the other methods are
shared by both readers and could be put into a package private parent
interface like BaseSplitReader.

Having these two readers allows both complicated and simple implementation,
depending on the SplitReader writers. From Flink's perspective, it will
choose a more efficient threading model if the SplitReader is an
AsyncReader. Otherwise, it may have to use the one thread per reader model
if the reader is a SyncReader. Users can also choose to implement both
interface, in that case, it is up to Flink to choose which interface to use.

Admittedly, this solution does have one more interface, but still seems
rewarding. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin