Thanks for looking into this.

I see the "Jar run handler" as function that takes few parameters and
returns a job ID. I think it would be nice if the handler doesn't hard code
the function. Perhaps this could be accomplished by pushing the code into
something like "ExtractJobGraphAndSubmitToDispatcherEnvironment" that the
main method could also bypass if it has an alternative way to provide the
jobId via a context variable?

Zili: I looked at the client API proposal and left a few comments. I think
it is important to improve programmatic job submission. But it also seems
orthogonal to how the jar run handler operates (i.e. these issues could be
addressed independently).

Chesnay: You are right that the Beam job sever could be hacked to extract
job graph and other ingredients. This isn't desirable though because these
Flink internals should not be exposed downstream. But even if we went down
that route we would still need a way to let the jar run handler know to
just return the ID of an already submitted job vs. trying to submit one
from OptimizerPlanEnvironment.

The intended sequence would be:

REST client provides a launcher jar
REST client "runs jar"
REST handler calls main()
main launches Beam job server, runs Beam pipeline construction code against
that job server
job server uses RemoteEnvironment to submit real job
main "returns job id"
REST handler returns job id

Thomas