Thanks Godfrey & Jark for your comments!

Since both of you mentioned the naming of the parser factory, I'll answer
this question first.

I only intend to introduce the pluggable Parser for blink planner. So
the BlinkParserFactory will be added to the flink-table-planner-blink
module. We already have several factory classes there such as
"BlinkPlannerFactory" and "BlinkExecutorFactory". So it seems
"BlinkParserFactory" is following the naming convention of existing
classes. But I'm also fine with "ParserFactory" if we're going to remove
the "blink" prefix anyway.
For the concrete implementation, I prefer "DefaultParserFactory". Having a
"FlinkParserFactory" in blink planner seems a little weird. We can revisit
this when we really get rid of the legacy planner.

To answer the other questions:

@Godfrey
Yes I agree DDLs should also be handled by the HiveParser. That'll give
users more consistent experience.

The "Go Beyond Hive" section is mainly about decoupling the dialect from
hive objects, so that users can write HiveQL to query non-hive tables or
call non-hive functions. I think it's in the scope of this FLIP, but it
doesn't have to be done in the first release. I'll update the FLIP to be
more specific about it.

@Jark
Creating a new Parser only when dialect changes is a good idea. I'll update
the FLIP to mention that.

The 3.x new features we need to support in this FLIP include:

   1. PK & NOT NULL constraints
   2. Alter DB to change location

These DDLs are already covered by FLIP-123. Missing them will be a
regression.

Other new features can be identified with more tests and user feedback, and
will be supported incrementally.

By "we can use a newer version to support older versions", I mean syntax in
the new version is a superset of the old one. But we still need extra
efforts to make sure the copied code works with different hive versions,
e.g. more shim methods are required. So I'd rather start with a popular
version than the newest version.

--
Best regards!
Rui Li