Hi everyone,
Look up join
<https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-master/docs/dev/table/sql/queries/joins/#lookup-join>[1]
is
commonly used feature in Flink SQL. We have received many optimization
requirements on look up join. For example:
1. Enforces left side of lookup join do a hash partitioner to raise cache
hint ratio
2. Solves the data skew problem after introduces hash lookup join
3. Enables mini-batch optimization to reduce RPC call

Next we will solve these problems one by one. Firstly,  we would focus on
point 1, and continue to discuss point 2 and point 3 later.

There are many similar requirements from user mail list and JIRA about hash
Lookup Join, for example:
1. FLINK-23687 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-23687> -
Introduce partitioned lookup join to enforce input of LookupJoin to hash
shuffle by lookup keys
2. FLINK-25396 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-25396> -
lookupjoin source table for pre-partitioning
3. FLINK-25262 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-25262> -
Support to send data to lookup table for KeyGroupStreamPartitioner way for
SQL.

In this FLIP, I would like to start a discussion about Hash Lookup Join.
The core idea is introducing a 'USE_HASH' hint in query.  This syntax is
directly user-oriented and therefore requires careful design.
There are two ways about how to propagate this hint to LookupJoin in
optimizer. We need further discussion to do final decide. Anyway, the
difference between the two solution is only about the internal
implementation and has no impact on the user.

For more detail on the proposal:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-204%3A+Introduce+Hash+Lookup+Join

Looking forward to your feedback, thanks.

Best,
Jing Zhang

[1]
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-master/docs/dev/table/sql/queries/joins/#lookup-join