Hi Martijn,
Thanks a lot for your attention.
I'm sorry I didn't explain the motivation clearly. I would like to explain
it in detail, and then give response on your questions.
A lookup join is typically used to enrich a table with data that is queried
from an external system. Many Lookup table sources introduce cache in order
to reduce the RPC call, such as JDBC, CSV, HBase connectors.
For those connectors, we could raise cache hit ratio by routing the same
lookup keys to the same task instance. This is the purpose of
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-204%3A+Introduce+Hash+Lookup+Join
.
Other cases might benefit from Hash distribution, such as batch hash join
as you mentioned. It is a cool idea, however it is not the purpose of this
FLIP, we could discuss this in FLINK-20670
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-20670>.😀

> - When I was reading about this topic [1] I was wondering if this feature
would be more beneficial for bounded use cases and not so much for
unbounded use cases. What do you think?

As mentioned before, the purpose of Hash Lookup Join is to increase the
cache hit ratio which is different from Oracle Hash Join. However we could
use the similar hint syntax.

> - If I look at the current documentation for SQL Hints in Flink [2], I
notice that all of the hints there are located at the end of the SQL
statement. In the FLIP, the use_hash is defined directly after the 'SELECT'
keyword. Can we somehow make this consistent for the user? Or should the
user be able to specify hints anywhere in its SQL statement?

Calcite supports hints in two locations [3]:
Query Hint: right after the SELECT keyword;
Table Hint: right after the referenced table name.
Now Flink has supported dynamic table options based on the Hint framework
of Calcite which is mentioned in doc[2].
Besides, query hints are also important, it could give a hint for
optimizers to choose a better plan. Almost all popular databases and
big-data engines support sql query hints, such as oracle, hive, spark and
so on.
I think using query hints in this case is more natural for users, WDYT?

I have updated the motivation part in the FLIP,
Thanks for the feedback!

[1] https://logicalread.com/oracle-11g-hash-joins-mc02/#.V5Wm4_mnoUI
[2]
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-stable/docs/dev/table/sql/queries/hints/