Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You are right that most people tend to use high-level API for
interactive data exploration. Actually, there is
the FLIP-36 [1] covering the cache API at Table/SQL API. As far as I
know, it has been accepted but hasn’t been implemented. At the time
when it is drafted, DataStream did not support Batch mode but Table
API does.

Now that the DataStream API does support batch processing, I think we
can focus on supporting cache at DataStream first. It is still
valuable for DataStream users and most of the work we do in this FLIP
can be reused. So I want to limit the scope of this FLIP.

After caching is supported at DataStream, we can continue from where
FLIP-36 left off to support caching at Table/SQL API. We might have to
re-vote FLIP-36 or draft a new FLIP. What do you think?

Best,
Xuannan

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-36%3A+Support+Interactive+Programming+in+Flink