Hey -- I have a certain knowledge of Avro, and I'd be willing to help
out with some of these enhancements, writing tests and reviewing.  I
have a *lot* of Avro schemas available for validation!

The FLIP looks pretty good and covers the possible cases pretty
rigorously. I wasn't aware of some of the gaps you've pointed out
here!

How useful do you think the new ENUM_STRING DataType would be outside
of the Avro use case?  It seems like a good enough addition that would
solve the problem here.

A small note: I assume the AvroSchemaUtils is meant to be annotated
@PublicEvolving as well.

All my best, Ryan