From: Zakelly Lan <zakelly....@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 04:25
To: dev@flink.apache.org <dev@flink.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: FW: RE: [DISCUSS] FLIP-368 Reorganize the exceptions
thrown in state interfaces
Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

The exceptions thrown by state interfaces are NOT retriable. For
example, there may be some elements sent to the wrong subtask due to a
non-deterministic hashCode() algorithm and the key group is not
matching. Or the rocksdb may fail to read a file if it has been
deleted by the user. If there are future implementations that are
worth retrying (such as network access), it would be better to let the
implementation itself handle the retries and provide a configuration
for this, rather than requiring users to catch these exceptions.

Regarding the release and documentation, I have mentioned that this
change is targeted for version 1.19 with proper documentation. You may
have noticed that state interfaces are annotated with @PublicEvolving,
which means these interfaces may change across versions. The changes
are suitable for a minor release (1.18.0 currently to 1.19.0 in the
future) as defined by the API compatibility guarantees of Flink[1].

Best,
Zakelly

[1]
https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-docs-master/docs/ops/upgrading/#api-compatibility-guarantees