Thank you for the response. I would love to know why you think Log4J2 would
be good to migrate to (hypothetically) in the future. Your analysis is
always insightful Christopher.

On Mar 20, 2018 10:08 PM, "Christopher" <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:

Like most things, the status quo can be explained by history (momentum) and
initiative (or lack thereof).

Log4j2 debuted its first release (2.0) in 2014. This project began around
2013, and was built on products already using Log4j1 pretty heavily, but
also using dependencies which used SLF4J and logback.

Hadoop was tightly coupled to Log4j1 (at least, prior to version 3... I
haven't checked 3 yet), and other libraries Fluo has used (Twill?) have
been tightly coupled to logback.

Overall, it's very difficult to converge on a single logging framework
across multiple Java libraries. I think there's a strong case for using
Log4j2, but it would take some work to migrate, and address the edge cases
within the libraries Fluo uses/depends on (sometimes this requires doing
less... like not manipulating log levels dynamically or not manipulating
logging during ITs to reduce spamminess).

I would be in favor of migrating to Log4j2, if somebody were interested in
working on that. The migration is probably pretty easy... the tough part is
making sure the class path is set up correctly (just because we switch,
doesn't mean the libraries we use won't still try to log to slf4j or
log4j1).