Ross Gardler wrote:

RG> I read that the *output* strictly separates content from presentation,
RG> thereby implying that the *input* does not. Whilst some input formats
RG> blur this distinction (like OOo and MS Office for example) I'm not sure
RG> we can claim to take a horrible mess of an input document and create a
RG> nicely separated output.

yeah, but fixing that impression will confuse things even more. Saying
that 'Forrest for *input* strictly separates content from
presentation' is not true either. Problem here is that separate
can have two different meanings: a) to keep apart b) to take apart

What it should say is that 'Forrest expects and works best with input
that strictly separates content from presentation', but that is way
beyond our 50 words.

So I' suggest to stick with the proposed version in this respect.
Although, while I'm at it ...

Apache Forrest is a publishing framework that
transforms input from various sources into a unified
presentation in one or more output formats.
Its modular and extensible plugin-architecture is based on Apache
Cocoon and several Web standards and strictly separates presentation
from content.
Forrest can generate static documents, run on an application server or
be deployed by an automated publishing application.

main suggestion is to replace document collection with presentation
because that seems to better include menues, tabs and tocs whereas
document collection reminds me a bit of a file system view.

And I was so determined to keep out of this to get some work done :-)

--
Ferdinand Soethe