No, you will only needed CLA when your pull request needs to be merged.

Note that adding Java 8 support will have quite a lot consequences in FM.
Many parts touched. At least in principle, we should add a lot of new
TemplateModel subinterfaces... given how many types are there in java.time,
that will be awkward. And then integrating all that with all the places
that can now explicitly handle TemplateDateModel, TemplateDateTimeModel,
and TemplateTimeModel. So, yeah, it's not accidental that nobody has
invested into this yet. :)

--
Best regards,
Daniel Dekany