Hi Taher (and everyone else).

A couple of months ago, I announced the availability of a more advanced
FreeMarker 3 version here: https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker3

Really, the bottom line is that if you do want to get involved in hacking
the FreeMarker code, this is the one you should get involved in. This is a
continuation of work by the original author (ME) and if you get in there
and have whatever questions about how the code works, you have the
collaboration of the original author (ME).

If you work on Apache FreeMarker 2.x or 3.x you're working on a much more
primitive, older version of the code. For one thing, the FreeMarker 3 that
I point to is rewritten to use a much more powerful parser generator, which
is CongoCC. And this really has allowed quite a streamlining of the code.
Just look at what the CongoCC grammar looks like:
https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker3/tree/master/src/parser And
compare that with what the legacy JavaCC grammar looks like for Apache
FreeMarker:
https://github.com/apache/freemarker/blob/2.3-gae/freemarker-core/src/main/javacc/freemarker/core/FTL.jj

Just eyeball the two and think about which one you would rather work with!
I can be quite objective because I am basically the author of both versions!

On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 9:20 AM Taher Alkhateeb <ta...@pythys.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hello, we were just having a discussion about this:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/2p3521br9jnp9ww1f5vf80l90fntmfdf
>
> Essentially the way I understood it, it's better to focus on 2 and get
> things done as 3's future is not very clear and requires a lot of work from
> developers intimate with the code base.

Look, the real truth of the matter is that working with either Apache
FreeMarker 2 codebase or the 3, it's just an exercise in necrophilia.
Nothing meaningful has been done for ages and, at this point, there is just
about no prospect of anything happening. By all means, you could get in
there and try to clean it all up and so on, but frankly, your prospects of
ever catching up to the state of the FreeMarker 3 that I have pointed to...
it's quite bleak really.

I mean, really, c'mon, even just reading between the lines in Daniel's
response to this question about FreeMarker development, you can get the
feeling that it's really just a waste of time. The thing is dead and Daniel
is not hardly even trying to hide this.

But anyway, 'nuff said. I just would tell you to do your due diligence and
figure out which way is up! I would be delighted to have collaborators, and
you would be collaborating with the person who is, to all intents and
purposes, the original author of the tool.

It really ought to be a very easy decision.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Revusky