On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 10:53 AM Taher Alkhateeb <ta...@pythys.com.invalid>
wrote:

> When you have two code bases that share a common ancestry, then the two
> different lines of development are called forks,

Well, no. That's just not true. Do people say that JDK 7 and JDK 8 are
forks? No. The latter is not a fork, but just a continuation of development
on the same project.

I already explained the history of this. The FreeMarker 3 that I am working
on is the continuation of development on the trunk ("master" or "main" in
Git-speak) of the code from when the project was hosted on Sourceforge. A
continuation of development by the person who is, to all intents and
purposes, the original author. I daresay that nobody who understood the
situation would call this a "fork".

> it's not a bad thing and if you check github you'll notice that it's kind
> of a popular button over there.

Well, it's true that in git, the term "fork" does not have a negative
connotation, but I was pretty certain that the way you were using the term,
you did mean it negatively. That view is reinforced by the hostile tone of
your message.

In any case, if anything is a "fork", it is "Apache FreeMarker" because
Daniel chose to fork off from the main stream of development by taking an
older obsolete version of the code base, the FreeMarker 2.3 maintenance
branch and using that as the basis for "Apache FreeMarker". Once I resumed
my FreeCC work, which used the more advanced version of the code (the trunk
in the code repository), yes, there was effectively a fork, as in a
bifurcation, but the record is clear. The person who forked, i.e. caused a
bifurcation, was Daniel. My work is simply a continuation of work on the
main stream of development.

The history of all this is kind of convoluted in a way, but it's not really
that hard to understand either -- unless you very much don't want to
understand, which I suspect is your case...

> Sorry but I will refrain from nothing, especially when it's just _your_
> interpretation or mind-reading attempt.

Well, I do not think that I am imagining the hostility in your tone.

Anyway, I would re-iterate that you really ought to refrain from referring
to my work as a "fork" because it is not, and I already explained this. If
somebody was misspelling your last name, let's say with one 'e' instead of
two, and you corrected him, and he kept misspelling your name regardless,
would this not be some kind of passive aggression?

> I don't know you nor do I know Daniel beyond just interactions in here,
> but at this point and after everything I read, I don't care if your code
> quality is 10,000 times better. I just don't want to deal with you
> regardless of who you are or what your code is like.

Well, the "Apache FreeMarker" code was also largely written by me. I mean,
certainly the core parser/renderer part which is what FreeMarker mostly is.
"Apache FreeMarker" also includes the BeansWrapper written entirely by
Attila Szegedi, which was 12000 lines of rather grotesquely over-engineered
code. I ended up rewriting all of that in about 400 lines. So, as you could
imagine, it is a lot easier to work with!

But the problem with what you're saying is that if you get in there and
work on the "Apache FreeMarker" code, you're largely just working with an
older, obsolete version of the code by same author. Me!

But anyway, there's not much point in announcing loudly to the world that
you don't want to collaborate with me. Just don't collaborate with me. I
don't know what the point of this is. It's like you're trying to "virtue
signal" or something. Somehow making a show of this hostility towards me is
somehow virtuous or something... (SMH).

Check out new FreeMarker 3 features:
https://github.com/freemarker/freemarker3/wiki

Jonathan Revusky