On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 7:08 PM <le...@flowlogix.com> wrote:

> Ok, I see that my confusion is definitely justified.

Well, only insofar as willful ignorance is justified. I already explained
that there is no copyright issue regarding the FreeMarker 3 that I
announced. FreeMarker 3 is based on code that was never at Apache. It is
the continuation of the trunk (a.k.a. "master"/"main") of development from
when FreeMarker was on Sourceforget.net. (Apache FreeMarker is based on the
obsolete code from the 2.3 maintenance branch.)

Ask Daniel. He'll tell you the same thing.

> I would definitely bring this up to the Apache board.
> I am not a lawyer, but am familiar somewhat with the issue at hand, and it
> looks like a copyright dispute, at least in the making.

No, not at all. There is no copyright issue. There could conceivably be a
trademark issue, but I doubt it really. As Daniel pointed out, and I do not
dispute this, I did sign some document or other where, presumably, I agreed
not to use the name FreeMarker. However, it can't really be a binding
contract since there was no quid pro quo. It's just me promising something
in exchange for absolutely nothing. So, since it's not a binding contract,
what it boils down it is that I simply changed my mind. (Shrug.)

> An entity with a copyright needs to defend it, thus it needs to be brought
> up to the Board. This is what it’s there for.

Well, you are quite a pugnacious little punk, aren't you? Well, fine. Such
is life. I am quite satisfied that there is no particular reason that I
cannot resume work on the main stream of FreeMarker development and simply
say that this is what it is. I mean, really, what are you going to do about
it? (Punk...)

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
--