Dear Mentors, and everyone else!

As it turns out, this Release Candidate will go through the same
procedure as a stable release would (2 round of voting, etc.), because
(or, if?) we want to publish it on the home page for a month before
the final release, giving people time for testing, which legally makes
it to a "real" release.

To everyone, if you can, please test this release with your own
FreeMarker-dependent projects (like OFBiz), and in general try to find
rough edges, tell your insights. Here's the binary with full
documentation and change log:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/freemarker/engine/2.3.24-rc01-incubating/binaries/apache-freemarker-2.3.24-rc01-incubating-bin.tar.gz

Dear Mentors, please check if this complies with the ASF policies,
etc., then vote! Also check if you agree with this dist directory
structure (this will be our first ASF release):

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/freemarker/

Notes:

- "gae" is the Google App Engine compliant variant. Most users can just
  ignore it.

- See the README for the build instructions.

- We aren't yet in the Apache Maven repo - I will soon ask Infra to
  set things up. Note that this RC will only go to the staging repo even
  then, as otherwise it would be synced with the Central (right?).

- You can run `ant rat`. If you extract the two distributions (I mean
  the binary and source archives) under build/dist/bin and
  build/dist/src, it will also check those. (Or if you ran `ant dist`
  earlier.)

The vote is open for 72 hours, or until the necessary number of
binding votes (3 +1) is reached.

    [ ] +1 Release this package
    [ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

If this vote passes, we will start a 2nd vote at general@incubator.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany