Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm pushing to my personal github. I have a
parent pom with a submodule core and a submodule ext. I want to check
alternatives for the different artifacts. Maybe with reflection, as
suggested by the previous effort, or retrotranslator.

https://github.com/mauronunez/incubator-freemarker/tree/maven ( my fork,
branch "maven" )

I have more experience with maven, but I think this as intermediate step
for Gradle.
About maven for FM2, yes, I agree with to keep it as is,  not impacting
users. I want to contribute my changes to FM3, but now, FM2 it's a good
codebase to test, and to be more involved as developer.

Btw, I've create a pull request to fix some Junit tests.

Regards,

Mauricio