Over .get_optional_template(name[, options]),
(https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_specvar.html#ref_specvar_get_optional_template)
I have also added:

- .caller_template_name (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FREEMARKER-83)

https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_specvar.html#ref_specvar_caller_template_name

- ?absolute_template_name (you will soon see the connection...)

https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_builtins_expert.html#ref_builtin_absolute_template_name

In
https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_builtins_expert.html#ref_builtin_absolute_template_name
there's an example where all three are used together:

  <#--
    <@smileyInclude name /> behaves like <#include name>, but prints a "(:"
before the
    template, or prints "):" instead if the template is missing.

    Note that just like with #include, if name is relative, it's resolved based
on the
    directory of the caller template, not of the template that defines this
macro. As
    .get_optional_template resolves relative names based on the current
template, we
    had to convert the name to an absolute name based on the caller template
before
    passing it to it.
  -->
  <#macro smileyInclude name>
    <#local t = .get_optional_template(
        name?absolute_template_name(.caller_template_name))>
    <#if t.exists>
      (:
      <@t.include />
    <#else>