I did a little more reading, and it sounds like we should create an
module-info.java to reserve the proper name for those customers who are
using Java 9+. See this article[1] for a description of what can go wrong
if people start using the automatic package without us having declared a
name. I think a module-info should be necessary for *any* level of Java 9+
support.

Jinmei, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe --add-opens is
necessary for the reflection that we use in PDX auto-serialization, and
probably elsewhere as well. This would make it necessary for any Java
program communicating with Geode that uses automatic serialization to have
--add-opens. I don't understand all that well what level of reflection is
available in Java 11, but it will probably take quite a bit of time to do a
complete fix.

+1 to this approach, provided we create a module-info.java

[1]: https://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html