I have learned that other than the required quarterly report to the board, just
about everything else about being an Apache project is just guidelines, not
hard requirements.  I was confused because we do adhere rigorously to every
other voting guideline on https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html; now I
understand that is by choice and not because Apache “requires” it.

Thank you for all the responses on this thread.  It seems like the consensus is
that we’ve struck an appropriate balance already (and in particular regard to
reviews, that we can trust committers to seek an appropriate amount of review
based on the nature and scope of a PR).

I will not seek a vote on enforcing a requirement of 1 (or more) reviews before
a PR can be merged, since some valid scenarios were raised where 0 reviews
prior to merge could be appropriate.