I like the idea of a recommended reading list for Geode contributors.

My concerns around adopting broad standards and guidelines that can’t be
automatically checked & applied are twofold:

 a) what is the policy regarding existing code?  Is every PR going forward
expected to bring every file it touches into conformance?

 b) how do we avoid PR reviews devolving into style-nitpicking?  If a PR
clearly fixes a bug, but someone doesn’t like a variable name, would that be
reason to give it a -1?

Even better would be leading by example [if we can’t overhaul the entire
codebase, maybe at least be able to point to one file that really embodies our
desired coding standards].

People over process.  Code is either readable or it isn’t.  If you are
reviewing a PR and the proposed changes are difficult to follow, a simple and
kind explanation is probably more constructive than citing the offender with
the chapter and section of their violation.