Our "critical issue” rule has the effect that the bar to commit to develop is
“low”, but the bar to cherry-pick to support branch is “very high”.

Contributors could plan around this disparity more easily if any of the
following were true:
- releases were more frequent
- planned cut date of release branch was announced in advance (rather than
retroactively)
- a process existed for making exceptions to the “critical issue” rule

I agree that the proposed SHA looks like a relatively stable branchpoint
(coming near the end of a nice period of solid green in the pipeline), and I
acknowledge that fair warning was given a week ago that a branch was “coming
soon”, but I wonder if there is anything we can do to make the rules for what
gets in a release and what doesn’t feel a little less arbitrary?

-Owen