My understanding is that this portion of the protocol is determined by
instanceof checks, not the ordinal version.  The messages from the java client
went through a different code path than messages from the native client.  So
java clients using ordinal 45 still work (that’s why our backwards
compatibility tests don’t fail).

Anthony