Hi,

Thanks for you messages, here you are some answers:

Dave:
Are there cases in which one or two timeouts are followed by a successful
retry? Or does one timeout *always* end with more timeouts and, ultimately,
an IO error?
Not in our use case, which is kiling a server. In this case, timeouts will end
up on an IO error.

If a straight-up change solves a constant headache, as you suggest, Alberto,
and as Blake concurs, that sounds like the way to go. Why introduce a new
option or property if the user will always prefer one behavior over the other?

The fix works fine for our use case, I suggested the alternatives to make it
something optional in case there were concerns about it. In other projects I
have been involved in the past, we had to deal with temporary network problems.
So most of the times, if a timeout had a consequence (so to say), that was not
applied after just one timeout.

But its true that in this use case, a timeout always ends up on an IO error, as
I said. So if you dont see any problem with cleaning the metadata just after
one timeout, then we dont need any control mechanism for it.

Blake:
Given that attempts to retrieve metadata after the C++ cache is closed are a
constant headache for Geode Native development, I am generally in favor of
anything that potentially reduces the number of times/places this happens.  If
we've failed the handshake, it's very unlikely things will correct themselves
without outside intervention, so this fix is probably goodness. I'd go ahead
and submit a PR when you think it's solid.

Good to hear that. The code changes in the draft PR are ready, I just need to
figure out the testing part. Im not sure how I will add a test because it would
be the same test as the one added for GEODE-8231...

BR/

Alberto B.

________________________________
Let's please consider how this would controlled and look for ways other than
YetAnotherProperty

Thanks,
EB

    If a straight-up change solves a constant headache, as you suggest,
    Alberto, and as Blake concurs, that sounds like the way to go.
    Why introduce a new option or property if the user will always prefer one
    behavior over the other? (And from a docs perspective, who needs another
    optional property, anyway?)

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode-native%2Fpull%2F651&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cburghardte%40vmware.com%7Cd73403fcd2df4b9d1d0a08d85b443413%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637359695795955165&amp;sdata=QeXlk3XdqPn5l0jytgNYja%2Fykvm%2FFz5PySvCv8WXa2E%3D&amp;reserved=0).