I’m not sure I have answers so I’ll just ask more questions :-)

When a server is killed, does that provoke an asynchronous metadata update to
clients?  I could be wrong about that but if it IS true, then perhaps we should
focus on optimizing that path. The sooner that a client can get accurate bucket
location data the faster it can service requests.

I suggest this because I know that wiping out *all* bucket metadata on the
client means that we’ve now destroyed the ability of the client to do
single-hop operations until the metadata is refreshed.  This has the cost of
additional latency on each client request and the hidden cost of additional
sockets and threads within the cluster to service the extra hop by forwarding
requests to the appropriate server.  This is an important because many users
test and size their geode cluster based on single-hop resource consumption and
it’s a very steep step up when this is not possible.  If there’s insufficient
headroom to handle the additional load it can tip a bad situation (single node
failing) into a much worse cascading condition (multiple nodes failing).

So I guess my questions are:
- What triggers a metadata refresh and how can we make that faster?
- Can we very selectively identify that some metadata is out of date and
invalidate that information only?

Anthony

On Sep 18, 2020, at 3:50 AM, Alberto Bustamante Reyes
<alberto.bustamante.re...@est.tech<mailto:alberto.bustamante.re...@est.tech>>
wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for you messages, here you are some answers:

Dave:
Are there cases in which one or two timeouts are followed by a successful
retry? Or does one timeout *always* end with more timeouts and, ultimately,
an IO error?
Not in our use case, which is kiling a server. In this case, timeouts will end
up on an IO error.

If a straight-up change solves a constant headache, as you suggest, Alberto,
and as Blake concurs, that sounds like the way to go. Why introduce a new
option or property if the user will always prefer one behavior over the other?

The fix works fine for our use case, I suggested the alternatives to make it
something optional in case there were concerns about it. In other projects I
have been involved in the past, we had to deal with temporary network problems.
So most of the times, if a timeout had a consequence (so to say), that was not
applied after just one timeout.

But its true that in this use case, a timeout always ends up on an IO error, as
I said. So if you dont see any problem with cleaning the metadata just after
one timeout, then we dont need any control mechanism for it.

Blake:
Given that attempts to retrieve metadata after the C++ cache is closed are a
constant headache for Geode Native development, I am generally in favor of
anything that potentially reduces the number of times/places this happens.  If
we've failed the handshake, it's very unlikely things will correct themselves
without outside intervention, so this fix is probably goodness. I'd go ahead
and submit a PR when you think it's solid.

Good to hear that. The code changes in the draft PR are ready, I just need to
figure out the testing part. Im not sure how I will add a test because it would
be the same test as the one added for GEODE-8231...

BR/

Alberto B.

________________________________
Let's please consider how this would controlled and look for ways other than
YetAnotherProperty

Thanks,
EB

On 9/17/20, 12:59 PM, "Dave Barnes"
   If a straight-up change solves a constant headache, as you suggest,
   Alberto, and as Blake concurs, that sounds like the way to go.
   Why introduce a new option or property if the user will always prefer one
   behavior over the other? (And from a docs perspective, who needs another
   optional property, anyway?)

   On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Blake Bender
Given that attempts to retrieve metadata after the C++ cache is closed are
a constant headache for Geode Native development, I am generally in favor
of anything that potentially reduces the number of times/places this
happens.  If we've failed the handshake, it's very unlikely things will
correct themselves without outside intervention, so this fix is probably
goodness.  I'd go ahead and submit a PR when you think it's solid.

Thanks,

Blake

On 9/17/20, 9:36 AM, "Dave Barnes"