What I have now is a gbean that:

--interface:
you can either use Executor through the GBean calling mechanism or if you think that is too slow get the underlying Executor itself.

--implementation
Uses a PooledExecutor with a fixed minsize = maxsize and a LinkedQueue to put waiting requests on. This will keep creating threads until it is full, then put tasks on the queue and freed up threads will take them off. This uses standard Concurrent classes only. As far as I can tell any other behavior would require us to write some code, which I would expect to contain some bugs. Until we see an actual problem with this strategy I'l like to leave well enough alone. My original question was whether anyone knew of problems we would be likely to run into using this strategy.

I plan to modify the JCA WorkManager to use this thread pool gbean. I'm not quite sure how thread pools are used in network/remoting, but I'd imagine they are used as gbeans, so you can replace them with another gbean with a different Executor configuration with no problems.

thanks
david jencks