On Apr 1, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

Hiram Chirino wrote:

On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the project with our releases. It would help to use the svn revision on the jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the geronimo project created for it's use, rather than confuse people that it might be an artifact from ActiveMQ. The word 'SNAPSHOT' would help.

SNAPSHOT has a specific meaning to Maven - it will cause it to check the remote repo for a newer version (by timestamp) even if a copy exists in the local repo.

This is good for daily builds, a nightmare for anything where consistency is required.

So when we decide to do a milestone (or release) we need to ensure there are no dependencies on versions with SNAPSHOT in them and instead use ones that contain a SVN revision number or a CVS timestamp:

bad:    foo-bar-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
ok:     foo-bar-1.3-20050401.jar
better: foo-bar-1.3-158653.jar

Going back to the original issue of an external project not wishing to do a release, we want to make it clear that this is something that we threw together ad hoc, and not something published by the external project.

The upside to having a geronimo committer build the artifact himself from source is that you have a better oversight in knowing from what source code a binary was produced. Perhaps we should tag the file name with something, so it obvious it's an ad hoc build that an apache committer through together.

foo-bar-1.3-adhoc-geronimo-158653.jar

works for me

This way it's clear that this jar was specifically for an ad hoc geronimo snapshot. Another nice thing about having adhoc-geronimo in the name is that when you browse your local repo, it's easy to spot the ad hoc geronimo jars. Finding these jars using the find command is simplified when jars are "taged" with these tokens in their jar names.
I'm not married to the token adhoc-geronimo but, you get the idea. Actually as I think about it, would one want to make the tag name as unweldy as possible to deter non-geronimo projects from relying on our maven repo as a means of distribution?

Yes. We should ensure that they are outside of the 7bit ASCII space.

Maybe

foo-bar-1.3-ådhøc-gérönîmó-158653.jar

if we could get an unprintable character in there too, we'd be done.

geir

[EMAIL PROTECTED]