One reason is that we may need something like this for harmony...

On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:16 PM, Andy Piper wrote:

At 04:26 PM 10/26/2005, Rick McGuire wrote:

The most critical need right now is to have a replacement to the Sun ORB that would allow portability to other JVM impelementations. The lack of a full-function compliant ORB is the main factor locking Geronimo in to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM. I think the general view of the CORBA support is that of a "necessary evil". It is required for J2EE certifcation, but is not generally seen as critical to most Geronimo deployments. My personal view of the priorities is "get it working, get it portable". Issues such as additional uses or higher peformance are things to consider after the primary requirements are fullfilled.

Can I ask why portability is critical? Most VM's (with one notable exception) use the Sun ORB so depending on it doesn't seem such a big deal to me, especially if its a necessary evil. I agree support for J2SE 5.0 is essential, but its pretty easy to write code that supports both 1.4 and 5.0 ORBs.

andy

[EMAIL PROTECTED]