This is an area of much confusion. This may help (or it may not :)

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200508.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
(tiny: http://tinyurl.com/8fcx6)

Basic gist, as I understand (IANAL): the copyright is not assigned to
the ASF, but licensed to the ASF. This is done through a software
grant form.

If anyone is interested in this, you should review the thread above
and join the legal-discuss list which is open to all committers to ask
questions.

HTH,
Brett