Jeff Genender wrote:

Now...we do have a solution.

We can place their jars in our repo, so we own those versions (i.e. servlet-examples-geroniomo-1.0.war) and then they clearly won't affect other Tomcat users.

+1

I assume we are talking about placing their WARs in our repo..

This approach has the following benefits:
- No need to maintain and build the tomcat example source. Remember we have no current plans to extend these examples. We are merely a consumer. - We can name it whatever we want (or create a deployment plan) without affecting any other project. - We can make minor text changes in the html file w/o forking the entire example code base. - We only resync the samples (i.e. WARs) when we provide a new version of Geronimo(v1, v1.1, v2..)
- We can have a simple expedient resolution.

Or...just add the source to our repo and roll our own. These are just examples, so I don't see any problem with this.

> Well keep this in mind...and we need to really consider this.  Because
> of the very nature that they are examples...people will want to see the
> code.  I would think that if we are including the Tomcat examples, we
> should include the code in some form.  I think its not very
> user/developer friendly to include example wars, then tell people if
> they want to see them, please go to the Tomcat site and download their
> tar ball.

-1

The source for the samples are included in the WARs. They can be pulled into any IDE. Geronimo shouldn't fork Tomcat's examples and therefore forever own the build and maintenance merely because we want to consume the WAR files. If a user wants to dig deeper into the examples, we should give clear credit to Tomcat as being ground zero for the samples.

-Dave-