From: Jules Gosnell [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 9:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: wadi-dev@incubator.apache.org ; dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: [wadi-dev] Re: [Geronimo] Clustering

James Strachan wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2005, at 14:14, Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>> James Strachan wrote:

>>> There's no reason why you can't do a simple implementation of
>>> ActiveCluster which doesn't use ActiveMQ - its just a simple API.
>>

>> Sure - but I'm talking about the EJB-client side - where we just
>> want to throw across as thin a line as possible, in order to haul a
>> decent strength cable back. An EJB client would not need the
>> ActiveCluster API (I'm not thinking in terms of making EJB clients
>> fully fledged cluster members), but simply a way of locating the
>> cluster and requesting a membership snapshot of it.
>

> Thats exactly what the ActiveCluster API is for :). Though by all
> means come up with another API if you can think of a better way of
> doing it.
>
>> This could be done by just broadcasting a query packet at a well
>> known multicast address and waiting for the first well-formed
response.

> Sure - an *implementation* of ActiveCluster API could do exactly that.

???

well, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong piece of activecluster then ?

any piece of code could broadcast a packet... which piece of
activecluster's API are you suggesting here ?

we really are talking about just a remoting proxy which needs to find,
but not 'join' a cluster.

can you be more specific ?

Jules

> James