5.5.15,16,17 has some new features, like the JvmRouteBinderValve, that will rewrite the session id for a new node when a node crashes. This is an important feature. The coordination error that you ran into I am not yet sure why it is happening, hence I can't comment on it, and I don't know if it is a result of a code change or just a one time fluke.

I would make the same recommendation, to use 5.5.9 for 1.1 since 1.1 is right around the corner.

And I will extend/commit my help to get 1.2/5.5.17 in a good shape, including documentation and testing for the clustering piece.

Filip

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

Jeff Genender wrote:
I would vote for not moving to 5.5.16 for 1.1.  IMHO, its too close.  We
did some preliminary testing for 5.5.15 and it seems ok...and we will
know in the next several days if its good to bake in to 1.1.

Filip,

How significant are the 5.5.15 bugs that you alluded to? Or is this just a general request to use the latest level...

Are the problems unique to clustering?

Do you suspect the coordination error to be a code bug in 5.5.15? AFAICT, my setup is identical to 5.5.9..

Would like your input on 5.5.9 -vs- 5.5.15..

Thanks
-Dave-

5.5.9 is fine to stick with since its pretty stable and it just works, and in the
event 5.5.15 causes any discomfort during testing, we are comfortable
that we can fall back on it.

IIRC, the 5.5.16 issues had to do with cross context stuff that David
Jencks and I worked pretty diligently on to fix.  So I would probably be
apt to push a -1 on 5.5.16 for 1.1.

Jeff

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
Hmmm.. What level of Tomcat does the community want to include in G1.1?

Background...

Tomcat 5.5.9 - current working level in G1.0 and G1.1.. Clustering
works.. TCK is testing with this level..

Tomcat 5.5.10-5.5.14 - clustering is broken

Tomcat 5.5.15 - Clustering seems to work somewhat. We've encountered at
least one bug. Filip (tomcat clustering developer) mentioned there are
still some significant bugs in this level and advises us to move to 5.5.16.

Tomcat 5.5.16 - Jeff has mentioned that he and David J had previously
discovered some issues that required significant rework that he didn't
want to tackle until G1.2..

So...  Do we stick with 5.5.9 for G1.1 and move to 5.5.16+ in G1.2?

Thanks
-Dave-

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
looks like you are right, there where some other fixes in .16 that
were important, so it may be better to use that one.
seems like you got a coordination error, ie, node1 requested state
from node2, but node2 didn't know about node1, and that caused the
stack trace from below.

Filip

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
Thanks Filip!!

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200512.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

seems to indicate that it is fixed in 5.5.15..

Is it fixed in 5.5.15 or 5.5.16?

Thanks
-Dave-

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
Clustering was broken in Tomcat 5.5.10-5.5.15 due to a protocol
change, this was corrected in 5.5.16.
I would run the tests again that version, and then I can help you
out with any problems you run into.

Filip

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
Jeff,

Upgraded tomcat, tomcat_ajp and jasper to 5.5.15 and ran the
clustering tests.

The *good* news...
 Load balancing, sticky session, session replication and session
failover seem to work using the same deployment plan that was
created for G1.1 w/ TC 5.5.9..

The *bad* news...

*Problem1*
When testing Sticky session, my browser locks unto a particular
cluster member (e.g. node1) due to the nodeid in the cookie. If I
kill node1, the session fails over into node2 and all my session
data is still present. This is good.
The nodeid in the cookie continues to say node1 (this is also true
w/ TC 5.5.9 w/ and mod-jk)..

Now, if I restart node1 and wait a minute or so and then hit my
browser, I am directed to node1 and all my session data is gone. :(
BTW, an earlier run using TC 5.5.9 also resulted in being directed
back to node1 though the httpsession is retained.  I think this may
be related to problems replicating data whenever nodes are
added..   Which leads me to ...

*Problem2*
Whenever a cluster member is added to the cluster, the other nodes
receive the following exception.  This occurs both during the
initial addition of a node and after a stopped node is restarted...

(Though later when I access an httpsession (via a servlet
request)it does result in session replication between members.)

15:30:19,352 INFO  [SimpleTcpCluster] Replication member
added:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp://192.168.14.160
:4001,catalina,192.168.14.160,4001
, alive=0]
15:30:19,692 ERROR [SimpleTcpCluster] Unable to send message
through cluster sender.
java.io.IOException: Sender not available. Make sure sender
information is available to the ReplicationTransmitter.
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessageDat
a(ReplicationTransmitter.java:857)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessage(Re
plicationTransmitter.java:430)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.send(SimpleTcpCluste
r.java:1074)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.sendSessions(DeltaMa
nager.java:1690)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.handleGET_ALL_SESSIO
NS(DeltaManager.java:1629)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.messageReceived(Delt
aManager.java:1443)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.messageDataReceived(
DeltaManager.java:1225)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener.messageRec
eived(ClusterSessionListener.java:85)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.receive(SimpleTcpClu
ster.java:1160)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ClusterReceiverBase.messageDataReceiv
ed(ClusterReceiverBase.java:418)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.io.ObjectReader.execute(ObjectReader.java
:107)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.TcpReplicationThread.drainChannel(Tcp
ReplicationThread.java:131)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.TcpReplicationThread.run(TcpReplicati
onThread.java:69)
15:30:19,692 ERROR [SimpleTcpCluster] Unable to send message
through cluster sen
der.
java.io.IOException: Sender not available. Make sure sender
information is avail
able to the ReplicationTransmitter.
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessageDat
a(ReplicationTransmitter.java:857)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter.sendMessage(Re
plicationTransmitter.java:430)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.send(SimpleTcpCluste
r.java:1074)
        at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.handleGET_ALL_SESSIO
NS(DeltaManager.java:1660)
[...]

*Problem3*
Getting a bunch of exceptions relating to session invalidation

[snip]
java.lang.IllegalStateException: getId: Session already invalidated
[snip]

This one may not be new..

Thanks
-Dave-

Jeff Genender wrote:
Dave,

Thanks for doing this.

Jeff

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
I've validated that the Geronimo clustering example
(http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Geronimo+Clustering+Example)

still works for Geronimo 1.1 (with Tomcat 5.5.9). The application
deployment plan (attached to email) required some changes.

I'm now rebuilding G1.1 with Tomcat 5.5.15 to determine if the
clustering Gbeans and plans still work..

-Dave-

Jeff Genender wrote:
IIRC, 5.5.15 went to backward compatibility...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200512.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Perhaps Filip can fill us in on this.

If I remember right, the 5.5.9 clustering GBeans will work on
forward
versions.  So I don't think there is a problem there.  HEAD has
been set
to 5.5.15 for quite some time.

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to try em out ;-)

Jeff

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
Jeff (et al.),

Will G1.1 definitely be upgraded to Tomcat 5.5.15?

IIRC, the clustering deployment plans were quite different for
5.5.9
-vs- 5.5.12.  If we upgrade to 5.5.15, we will likely need a
new plan
that accounts for both the webcontainer upgrade as well as the
new G1.1
 plan format..

Thanks
-Dave-

Jeff Genender wrote:
Thanks Rainer. But I think 5.5.15 will be the one for 1.1. But
possibly 5.5.17 for 1.2 ;-)

Jeff

Rainer Jung wrote:
Just for your information: 5.5.16 was released a couple of
weeks ago,
but has some problems with de delivered packaginf of examples
app
under
windows.

5.5.17 is expected to be cut on friday and voted stable
eventually 1-2
weeks later.

Jeff Genender wrote:
Yep...need to update the plan.  Its updated in trunk.

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
It appears that G1.1 is still using Tomcat 5.5.9

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.1/etc/project.properties

Wasn't a tomcat upgrade to 5.5.15 in plan for G1.1?? Perhaps I am
confused with the plans for trunk.. ??

Thanks
-Dave-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Copyright 2004-2005 The Apache Software Foundation

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
    You may obtain a copy of the License at

    Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
software
    distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS"
BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express
or implied.
    See the License for the specific language governing
permissions and
    limitations under the License.-->
<!--$Rev: 381704 $ $Date: 2006-02-28 11:55:41 -0500 (Tue, 28 Feb
2006) $-->
<web-app
xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/tomcat-1.1";>
  <dep:environment
xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";>
    <dep:configId>
      <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
<dep:artifactId>servlets-examples-tomcat-cluster</dep:artifactId>
      <dep:version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</dep:version>
      <dep:type>car</dep:type>
    </dep:configId>
    <dep:dependencies/>
    <dep:hidden-classes/>
    <dep:non-overridable-classes/>
  </dep:environment>
  <context-root>/servlets-examples-cluster</context-root>
<context-priority-classloader>false</context-priority-classloader> <security-realm-name>geronimo-properties-realm</security-realm-name>
  <security>
    <default-principal>
      <principal name="anonymous"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoUserPrincipal"/>

    </default-principal>
    <role-mappings>
      <role role-name="tomcat">
        <principal name="admin"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"/>

      </role>
    </role-mappings>
  </security>

    <cluster>TomcatCluster</cluster>

    <!-- Cluster -->
    <gbean name="TomcatCluster"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.CatalinaClusterGBean">
        <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster</attribute>

        <attribute name="initParams">
managerClassName=org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
            expireSessionsOnShutdown=false
            useDirtyFlag=false
            notifyListenersOnReplication=true
        </attribute>

name="Receiver">  <name>TomcatReceiver</name>
name="TomcatValveChain">  <name>ReplicationValve</name>
</reference>         <!--
        <reference name="ClusterDeployer">
    </gbean>

    <!-- Membership -->

    <gbean name="TomcatMembership"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.MembershipServiceGBean">
        <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService</attribute>

        <attribute name="initParams">
            mcastAddr=228.0.0.4
mcastBindAddress=xx.yy.zz.aa mcastPort=45564
            mcastFrequency=500
            mcastDropTime=3000
        </attribute>
    </gbean>
    <!-- Receiver -->

    <gbean name="TomcatReceiver"
        class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.ReceiverGBean">
        <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener</attribute>

        <attribute name="initParams">
tcpListenAddress=xx.yy.zz.aa tcpListenPort=4001
            tcpSelectorTimeout=100
            tcpThreadCount=6
        </attribute>
    </gbean>     <!-- Sender -->

    <gbean name="TomcatSender"
        class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.SenderGBean">
        <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter</attribute>

        <attribute name="initParams">
            replicationMode=pooled
            ackTimeout=15000
        </attribute>
    </gbean>      <!-- Valves -->
    <gbean name="ReplicationValve"
        class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ValveGBean">
        <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve</attribute>

        <attribute name="initParams">
filter=.*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.css;.*\.png;.*\.jpeg;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;

        </attribute>
    </gbean>
    <!-- Deployer     <gbean name="FarmWarDeployer"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.FarmWarDeployerGBean">
<attribute name="tempDir">var/catalina/war-temp</attribute>
        <attribute
name="deployDir">var/catalina/war-deploy</attribute>
        <attribute
name="watchDir">var/catalina/war-listen</attribute>
        <attribute name="watchEnabled">true</attribute>
        <attribute name="processDeployFrequency">10</attribute>
        <reference name="ServerInfo">
            <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType>
<module>geronimo/j2ee-system/1.1-SNAPSHOT/car</module>
            <name>ServerInfo</name>
        </reference>
    </gbean>
    -->