inline..

--- Jason Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> While this may work most of the time, it is not ideal as when
> making
> >> changes to plugins, users will be mystified when those changes are
> >> not used on the first build.
> >
> >    This is not true. The plugin is *not* used before it is built.
> The
> > problem is that maven does not even start the build until it has
> > downloaded all the plugins. Even a dummy plugin would work.
>
> Um... it is completely true.  I am aware that the plugin is not used
>
> before it is built.
>
> BUT the point that I was making was that Maven must resolve the
> plugin before the build commences... that means that the plugin must
>
> exist in a repository (or cache) already, and that is the version
> that will be used for the current build cycle... NOT the plugin that
>
> will be compiled and installed as part of the current build.
>
> Therefor the current build will always use the version of the plugin
>
> that was built BEFORE the build started, NOT the version that is
> actually getting built.

     I ran a test. A totally bogus plugin will not work, but a plugin
with correctly defined component.xml will work. Maven indeed uses the
plugin that was built (see the message below). If we want to use
SNAPSHOT versions for the plugin, we can create a skeletal dummy plugin
(s) and publish it. And the build will work like charm with just 'mvn'!
    If we want to use numbered versions like M1, we need multi step
build. Whenever the version is changed we will have to use 'mvn' more
than once to get a full build.

Thanks
Anita

[INFO]
[INFO] Building Geronimo Configuration for performing service
deployments
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO]
[INFO] Reloading plugin container for:
org.apache.geronimo.plugins:geronimo-packaging-plugin. The pl
ugin artifact has changed.
[INFO] [clean:clean]
[INFO] Deleting directory
D:\anita\geronimo\geronimo-1.2\configs\geronimo-gbean-deployer\target
[INFO] Deleting directory
D:\anita\geronimo\geronimo-1.2\configs\geronimo-gbean-deployer\target\clas
ses
[INFO] Deleting directory
D:\anita\geronimo\geronimo-1.2\configs\geronimo-gbean-deployer\target\test
-classes