On Oct 26, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

I don't see why we shouldn't. But can someone more informed please
list the pros and cons.

Here's my list:

Pro's

 * Easier for other projects to reuse GShell
 * Release cycle not tied to Geronimo server release cycle

Con's

* Small overhead for being a separately released project -- documentation, release voting, etc * Separate source tree can complicate debugging (can make the counterpoint that debugging GShell is easier...)

The Geronimo tx-manager components (transaction and connector) is another example where we've done this. Note that prior to (or concurrent with) voting on our last two releases, we've been voting on a tx-manager release. Although it need not be that way, we're falling into a lock-step release cycle...

I assume that Guillaume is interested in using GShell outside of Geronimo. I assume that there will be others...

I'd support GShell as a subproject...