I've been doing some experimenting using svn.eu.apache.org with git, so far it has gone well. I've been reading infra mail some folks do run into problems from time to time. So I'm limiting my changes to only small things, no large refactorings yet, but it is looking very hopeful. That and there has been some discussion on the infra list about an ASF git repo, hopefully that will be per TLP, but who knows.

--jason