It seems like using git could provide some really compelling advantages.

At least one of which would be to enable the security team to put
together a patch set outside of SVN.  That would make it easier for us
to compile, test, and save partial fixes to security problems without
having the subversion commit logs reveal the issues prematurely.

Jay