The "Geronimo" project is getting long in the tooth and has very few
maintainers. It's been teetering on the edge of what could be considered
active ever since I've been involved (I believe more than 5 years now.)

The project has seen many parts of its portfolio go unmaintained or
deprecated. We've seen other projects adopt parts (with this project's
blessing [1]). I would also argue this project seems to have lost its
identity and is now some sort of mishmash of libraries and utilities with
barely related aspects which I don't believe is really the model for a good
Open Source Apache project to bank a future on.

And now, we really should make an effort to settle the issue of
"Native"-themed mascotry which was raised again most recently here [2].

PROPOSAL:
I would like to propose we attempt to find any other ASF projects that
would be willing to take over interesting parts of the portfolio. After
that is exhausted, if nothing significant of interest remains the project
could simply be retired. However, if something significant does remain and
someone speaks up about wanting to maintain it, they could initiate a new
ASF project to house the remaining parts and have the new project adopt
those interesting bits.

Thoughts?

Ray

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/sdny91l920o2lnl58sj5wy577k39fhsz