I think https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16491 should hold up a
release if not merged.  Otherwise we would break our promise on
non-breaking api changes to fix it.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2026 at 2:34 PM James Fredley <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Since there will always be bugs found and fixed in 8.0.1+, we should fix
> waht we can on
> https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+milestone%3Agrails%3A8.0.0
> and then call the vote.   Not reason to hold up the release since 100% of
> the time we will fix bugs on 8.0.1+.
>
> James Fredley
>
> On 2026/10/03 18:22:15 James Daugherty via dev wrote:
> > These are the open items for the release:
> >
> https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+milestone%3Agrails%3A8.0.0
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 1:04 PM James Fredley <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It is critical to have 8.0.0 out for the Apache Community over Code
> > > Conference, so this timeline is ideal.
> > >
> > > Anything found later or even known before can be part of 8.0.1,
> 8.1.0-M1
> > > and or 9.0.0-M1.
> > >
> > > James Fredley
> > >
> > > On 2026-10-01 07:05 UTC James Daugherty wrote:
> > > > Hi Everyone,
> > > >
> > > > In the weekly, we spoke about when to release 8.0.0.  As stated in
> slack
> > > &
> > > > in the weekly, I've worked to clear our 8.x backlog so no changes
> remain.
> > > > Based on the current votes, 8.0.0-RC2 should come out on Friday (Oct
> 2).
> > > >
> > > > The only "known" action items I have are:
> > > > 1. release a final version of the asset pipeline & ensure Grails 8
> uses
> > > it
> > > > 2. sitemesh 3.x final version
> > > >
> > > > I'm proposing that we stage 8.0 on Sunday, assuming these are
> finished by
> > > > then and no major issues are raised.  Any issues that are found
> during
> > > the
> > > > 8.0 vote can easily be addressed by a quick hotfix to 8.0 and this
> > > ensures
> > > > that 8.0 is out before the ASF conference.
> > > >
> > > > I would also like to propose we release the intellij plugin in
> tandem to
> > > > the 8.0.0 release since its latest code has fixes related to Grails 8
> > > (plus
> > > > it adds community edition support).
> > > >
> > > > I'm assuming we'll release grails-micronaut some time shortly after
> > > Grails
> > > > 8's release date.  Hopefully shortly after 8 goes live. If a
> volunteer is
> > > > available to make this happen sooner, please speak up =)
> > > >
> > > > -James
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

Reply via email to