I can confirm this is a new error. Gradle 3.0 works with b119, but not
b136. And from what I can see, this is *not* going to be trivial to fix.
Best I could get now is:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalAccessException: class
org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod cannot access a member of class
java.lang.ClassLoader (in module java.base) with modifiers "protected"
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.throwIllegalAccessException(Reflection.java:405)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.throwIllegalAccessException(Reflection.java:396)
        at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.ensureMemberAccess(Reflection.java:98)
        at
java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.slowCheckMemberAccess(AccessibleObject.java:359)
        at
java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.checkAccess(AccessibleObject.java:351)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:529)
        at org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod.invoke(JavaMethod.java:77)

Which is f* annoying.