Necause languages like Pascal and Modula II or Ada use:

var_name : TType; // this is a declaration of a variable named „var_name“ and
of type TType.

However in  your example I assume either the var, or the „: Foo“ is redundant.
Because var is used in Kotline for type interference, if I’m not mistaken.

Best Regards

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         angelo.schnei...@oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Mob: +49 172 9873893