Adding more tests around backup / restore is in the works.
e.g. I will start with HBASE-16497 this week.

I agree that developers of the feature should try out typical scenarios so
that user experience is better.

30 minute of unit tests runtime for backup / restore is for machine with
SSDs. For machine without SSD, it would be longer. We would continue to add
new tests and prune redundant test cases.

Thanks