> We should also do compactions using MR (just saying :)

No, never. It's not a good idea to wed any of our core function to something
that independently evolves, that some of us don't have commit rights on (and
never will), and has varying degrees of utility depending on deploy. Like JM
says in some places not having the MR runtime around is virtuous.

(Runs away screaming.)