> What are the gate criteria on moving the stable pointer?

We were waiting on feedback from Mikhail or Gary. Last I heard was it was
fine over there, except one use case would trigger occasional regionserver
aborts due to FNFE in storefile handling. HBASE-19728 is the latest to fix
issues around storefile locking. These are getting harder to find, so the
answer as to the stability of 1.3 is it is getting better, and might be
good enough. Someone needs to step forward and make a credible claim to
that effect. Where I work we are rolling out something based on 1.3. It is
a heavy lift because most of our production is still on 0.98 and there are
some nontrivial differences. We are making progress. Once we have been
stable at a high scale location for several months I'll write in to claim
it stable. If someone else is using 1.3 your feedback would be very
valuable. In our acceptance testing 1.3 survived tests where 1.1 and 1.2
fell over, for what it's worth.

> You've been putting in a lot of hours into release duties already,
Andrew, let's hope that somebody else is available

I'm sure someone can step in if need be. Thanks for volunteering to run a
release, though. Any time you'd like to do that I'll be happy to help you
run through it if you need assistance. make_rc.sh mostly automates the
process. I think all committers who have an interest in running a release
should do it. It's good experience doing the one activity more than just
about any other that moves the project forward. However I don't mind being
RM. I enjoy it. I missed it after retiring 0.98. Getting 2.0 out is super
important. I can keep the legacy code branches in good order with steady
releases in the meantime.

--
Best regards,
Andrew