+1 (binding)

Good:

* checksums and signatures in dist.a.o match up
* source artifact matches with ref 172373d1f0
* compat report looks good
* LICENSE/NOTICE look fine
* rat looks good (couple of things noted below)

Bad but not a blocker:

* tag is not signed, presumably the release tag will be?

* HBASE-20276 "[shell] confirm shell REPL change and document"
describes a change that's present on branch-1.4 that I think is a
critical bug. Since it's been present since 1.4.0 I don't think it
needs to sink this RC, but I would prefer not moving the "stable
release" pointer until we've decided on a fix.

* book.html and javadocs in the binary tarball doesn't have license
info in it. neither does the live website's version so I don't think
it's an issue specific to the release.

* there are a few other unlicensed HTML files that look to be spurious
or out of date (e.g. docs/integration.html). they're the same on the
live website, so not something to block this release. But I'll file a
JIRA to get them updated and/or removed.