> Some time ago we talked about trying to get back on track for a more
regular cadence of minor releases rather than maintenance releases (like
how we did back pre-1.0). That never quite worked out for the HBase 1.y
line,

This is a bit premature to say never. I've been making steady releases of
1.4 and am about to spin 1.5.0, a new branch branch-1.5. After 1.4.9 the
next release from 1.x will probably be 1.5.0.

Point taken though, more frequent minors from 1.x, as discussed.

(On the other hand the backports to 1.x have slowed significantly, as
actually we might hope with a focus on 2.0 and up going forward. So maybe a
minor after 1.5 won't be necessary. Time will tell.)

Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk