Context: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-21665

I left a comment on the above issue about what I thought good things to build into HBCK2 would be -- a focus on specific "primitive" operations that an admin/operator could use to help repair an otherwise broken HBase installation. Some examples I had in my head were:

* Create an empty region (to plug a hole)
* Report holes in a region chain

In my head, the difference for HBCK2 was that we want to give folks the tools to fix their cluster, but we did not want to own the "just fix everything" kind of tool that HBCK1 had become. That problem with HBCK1 was that it was often difficult/problematic for us to know how to correctly fix a problem (the same problem could be corrected in different ways).

Andrew had some confusion about this, so I'm not sure if I'm off-base or if we're all in agreement on direction and we just need to do a better job documenting things. Thanks for keeping me honest either way :)

And just in case it doesn't go without saying, HBCK2 would be something that helps fix a system, while we want to always understand the root cause of how/why we got into a situation where we needed HBCK2 and also address that.

- Josh