The Yetus tools invoked by create-release use JIRA as source of truth for
changelog and release notes and there is not an alternative that I am aware of,
although perhaps there is one. So, we can to look at that: Can Yetus, or
create-release, be modified to generate changelogs and release notes from
GitHub issues instead? If so we could abandon Apache JIRA and avoid this new
burden, although that would make referring to anything historical on current
issues inconvenient, so is not ideal, in my opinion, but would return us to a
low touch process.

Let me observe that once a contributor is onboarded to JIRA by one of us using
this “self service” tool, how that user interacts with the project is the same
as now. The one change here is the GitHub user cannot sign up for the JIRA
account on their own. It might not be too bad. Perhaps there is a way to pre
fill our GitHub issues and PRs with template text that requests the user’s JIRA
ID. We would document this new JIRA signup process in the template so users can
proactively determine if they require onboarding to JIRA or not. Then one of us
(PMC) has to do it, one time for each unique contributor. This is burdensome.
It would delay our response that first time from the perspective of the new
contributor while the JIRA onboarding is pending. But if it’s the new policy it
is not avoidable.

Like today, if the GitHub user does not want to onboard to JIRA we ignore the
issue or PR. That doesn’t represent a change of policy.

I have a feeling there will be changes to this announced policy. Only those
projects where commercial entities have their employees on the PMC getting paid
to do user onboarding administrivia will not see some sort of impact. The long
tail of everyone else will see declines that will be reflected in statistics
that Whimsy generates for the Board reports.