Can I start a thread for a quick discussion about Bazel? I apologize if
this is a silly question. I'm new to Bazel.

I'm curious why there are so many custom rules defined in the Heron repo
(tools/rules). I see Bazel provided rules that we could leverage for things
like JarJar and Javadoc and Python, etc. Are there specific reasons why
there is custom logic in the Heron repo? Or was it maybe historical because
the Bazel provided resources didn't exist at the time? I was looking at
upgrading our use of Bazel to 1.X. Upgrading our custom logic seem harder
than upgrading a version of a Bazel provided rules dependency.

Thanks,
Nick