My feeling is that, Bazel moves fast. When Heron was started, Bazel was
still young (4+ years ago) and many tasks have to be done via custom rules.
And when upgrading Bazel, it is often not backward compatible ..... so the
effort is to fix the build, not clean it up.

However I was not in the team when the project started. Karthik, Sanjeev,
Maosong, Neng, Huijun should have more information.