I agree on the problem of comments.
For a new reviewer, it makes the process more painful.

But, I think, the issues are not major, and we should
decide one approach or another.

Even for option 2., we can make it mandatory for the contributor
to submit a reviewboard request if the reviewer asks for it.

Can others vote please ?

Thanks,
-namit