A few classes seem to be missing from the hive-exec*jar in binary
tar.gz. When I build from the source tar.gz , the hive-exec*jar has
those. ie, the source tar.gz looks fine.

It is the ATSHook classes that are missing. Those are needed to be
able to register job progress information with Yarn timeline server.

 diff /tmp/src.txt /tmp/bin.txt
4768,4775d4767
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$1.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$2.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$3.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$EntityTypes.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$EventTypes.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$OtherInfoTypes.class
< org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook$PrimaryFilterTypes.class